Today I would like to invite all our ProjectManagers.org community to share our point of views and together build a collaborative article on what is The Perfect Project Manager definition.
The outcome will be useful for all of us and for anyone else interested in becoming a great PM. Also it will be useful for recruiters and headhunters looking for a good description of our profession. Please, share your opinion in the comments section below.
Following, I propose a rough draft for the Perfect PM definition and once we have received all of your comments, we will publish the final Perfect PM definition.
What would you add? What would you remove?
About the Job
Summary & Main Purpose of Role
Key Tasks & Accountabilities:
- Review and take technical and commercial lead for the project from the order winning team
- Scope the project and define the project team
- Create project plans
- Define risks, mitigation plan & opportunities
- Effectively manage the clients commercial position
- Ensure that Critical Control Points are established
- Liaise closely with the Company Quality function
- Monitor & control all aspects of the project
- Co-ordinate, expedite and hold accountable all business functions and suppliers to ensure activities are completed on time
- Ensure effective communication with the client on progress, and drawings & documentation
- Advise Finance department of amendments to orders
- Ensure effective handover & communication processes with Field Services Project Management
- Manage the Warranty period, ensuring that Warranty issues are dealt with professionally
- Ensuring all company and client safety policies and procedures followed and embraced to promote a safe working environment
Scope and Dimensions:
- This role has full profit & loss accountability for assigned projects
- This role directly impacts customer relationships and customer satisfaction
- This role directly impacts the financial performance & growth
- A high degree of complexity; technical, problem solving and analytical skills must be strong
- Must be able to find solutions with all business functions, suppliers, and Customer s representatives
- Effective Risk Management is an essential deliverable of the role
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Expert experience and knowledge of project management tools, practices and methodology
- Proven track record in successfully delivering high value, complex, long cycle projects
- Excellent communicator with proven leadership skills and the ability to influence at all levels
- Tenacious and demanding with the ability to hold key stakeholders & functions accountable
- Ability to lead multiple projects within a global, cross-functional matrix organization
- Excellent business & commercial acumen and customer negotiation skills
- Experienced in interpreting & utilizing financial data to make decisions and deliver results
- Knowledge of quality management systems & HSE practices and requirements
- Engineering background
- Specific industry experience
- Technical knowledge of the matter
- Multi-lingual a plus
- Bachelor s degree or equivalent from and accredited University
- Prince2 / PMP certified
- Master degree a plus
Share your comments!
Author: angelberniz (All Rights Reserved by the author).
Source: Original text (based upon first hand knowledge).
Image: © Yuri_Arcurs – Fotolia.com
Join my community of 7 Million Unstoppable Learners who have enrolled in my FREE Online Courses and Certification Programs for Trainers, Experts & Professionals. Work with me, visit now: Courses10.com. Take Action. Get Results!