For several years, we have been analyzing the Gartner Magic Quadrant to classify the project management tools we recommend to our clients.
Gartner analyzes the PPM tools always in an IT framework and defines them as an understanding process between Strategy and Project Management Model. Therefor Gartner considers basic and a fundamental functionality for the PPM tools evaluated, to have their focus on the Portfolio view and not in detailed specific IT processes.
Often, we find that Project Managers manage the financial or economic part of the projects for development applications too.
- Budge of the project.
- Monitoring of suppliers billing.
- Cost monitoring.
- Monitoring budget deviations.
That is why we find the tools that promote the autonomy for Project Managers to manage all functionalities, not only the project plan, better positioned in this Gartner Magic Quadrant (MQ).
For instance, one of the functionalities more requested lately, is the resource capacity management included in PPM tools.
- Define customized roles.
- Establish resource capabilities.
- Request profiles to be able to estimate the capacity.
- Be able to do different estimation scenarios of resource emplacement.
- Consult the planned occupation of one resource in all the organization and not only in one specific project
On the other hand, the growing wave of outsourcing services, applications and even infrastructure, makes that a lot of powerful and traditional implementation tools, now are launching a cloud version of their products.
In Gartner Magic Quadrant, we can find 2 MQ separated: one for the traditional implementation tools, on premise, and another one with SaaS or cloud-based tools.
Magic quadrant for IT Cloud-Based IT PPM
In the table above we can find SaaS tools included in the prestigious report.
Inside the Leaders quadrant we find Innotas, Daptiv y Oracle-Instantis.
We can highlight:
- The total cover of IT PPM requirements.
- Wide and Strong functionality specially inside IT.
- Full coverage of IT PPM requirements.
- Robust and extensive functionality especially within the IT department.
- Deep into the heart of IT functionality as the demand analysis, advanced planning….
This point is the one that distinguish more clearly the leaders’ quadrant.
Magic Quadrant for Integrated IT Portfolio Analysis Applications
This quadrant corresponds to the traditional platform tools, Onsite.
Inside Leaders quadrant we can find Soft AG, CA Technologies y Planview.
We can highlight:
- The ability of integration the functionality in the same application. For example, the aggregated costs and resource vision.
- The global vision, top-down to manage portfolios and help the decision making process.
- The functionalities implemented over the native version of the tool.